Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Torrance on the revelation of God. God giving himself.

Since I am blogging on God's revelation I thought I would post this great thought from T.F. Torrance on the revelation of God.

“ In him, the Word of God made flesh, God brought his long historical interaction and revelatory dialogue with Israel to its consummation in revealing, not just something further about himself, but now his very Self as the God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, and gave specific personal content to his Name ‘I am who I am / I will be who I will be’ by identifying himself as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. In this final revelation of himself God proclaims himself to all mankind as the one Lord God the Father Almighty, the Maker of heaven and earth, who in his overflowing love will not be without us human beings but has freely come among us to be one of us and one with us in order to reconcile us to himself and to bring us into communion with himself.” Thomas F. Thorance, The Christian Doctrine of God, One Being Three Persons (Edinburgh, Scotland: T&T Clark, 1996). 15.

No comments: