Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An eight letter word

Our lives, whether we are young or old are before us. But wait, when I say, "our lives" I haven’t got it quite right have I? Wonderfully, and to God’s eternal praise, all in his Son through faith and baptism are his congregation for he has called them to be his. They are designated as the Father’s children, and King Jesus’ servants. They are also are the Holy Spirit’s people. As Israel was chosen and claimed out of Egypt, so are they.

What is the name of our God? I am who I am. “I am the Lord God who brought you up out of the Land of Egypt out of the house of slavery.” As this changed everything for Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all Israel so it changes everything for those who are now God's people. Why? In one word election!

In this eight letter word election, which is work of the grace of God, the course of the Christian's life has been set! Yes thier lives are before their own eyes, but it is a life claimed by God, a life in reference to God, a life that must constantly remember and recall, “I am your God and you are my people.”

No comments: